The vastus medialis is a muscle in the anterior compartment of the thigh. It forms part of the quadriceps femoris muscle complex.
- Originates from the intertrochanteric line and medial lip of the linea aspera of the femur.
- It inserts onto the patella via the quadriceps femoris tendon.
- The patella is then attached to the tibial tuberosity by the patella ligament.
- Actions: Extension of the knee joint. It has a secondary function of stabilising the patella.
- Innervation: Femoral nerve
- Blood supply: Femoral artery and deep femoral artery