The vastus intermedius is a muscle in the anterior compartment of the thigh. It forms part of the quadriceps femoris muscle complex.
- Originates from the anterior and lateral surfaces of the femoral shaft.
- It inserts onto the patella via the quadriceps femoris tendon.
- The patella is then attached to the tibial tuberosity by the patella ligament.
- Actions: Extension of the knee joint. It has a secondary function of stabilising the patella.
- Innervation: Femoral nerve
- Blood Supply: Lateral circumflex femoral artery