The superior and inferior gemelli muscles are located within the gluteal region in the lower limb. They are narrow and triangular-shaped, separated by the obturator internus tendon.
- Superior gemellus muscle originates from the ischial spine
- Inferior gemellus muscle originates from the ischial tuberosity.
- They both attach onto the greater trochanter of the femur.
- Actions: Lateral rotation and abduction.
- Superior gemellus muscle is innervated by the nerve to obturator internus
- Inferior gemellus is innervated by the nerve to quadratus femoris.
- Blood Supply: Inferior gluteal artery