The lumbricals are a set of intrinsic muscles of the foot. They are located within the second plantar muscle layer of the foot.
- Attachments: Originates from the tendons of flexor digitorum longus. Attaches to the extensor hoods of the lateral four digits.
- Actions: Flexion at the metatarsophalangeal joints and extension at the interphalangeal joints.
- Medial lumbrical – medial plantar nerve.
- Lateral three lumbricals – lateral plantar nerve.
- Blood Supply: Lateral plantar artery and the plantar metatarsal arteries.